My day job is Information Security for The University of Auckland, New Zealand.
I have been working in IT for around 35 years. My degree was in science with a heavy emphasis on Mathematics (particularly statistical and computational).
First job was as a statistician in University Zoology Dept after a few years I moved to what was then the "Computer Centre" where I was mostly involved with user support for statistical packages.
Over the years I have done worked in most non management areas in academic IT -- for the last 15 years I have been largely responsible for the technical side of Information Security at tht University.
My specific interest in GIS is centered around my conservation work on Tiritiri Matangi Island www.tiritirimatangi.org.nz where I am the volunteer coordinator for the weeding program.
We initially set up a GIS system of our own to keep track of weed related data but this has mushroomed and now has lots of other stuff as well; )
Top Network Posts
- 13Open Source equivalent to Collector for ArcGIS to use with QGIS/PostGIS?
- 8QGIS, Postgis: Is it possible to create a new postgis layer?
- 6How to save multiple layers from QGIS to a Spatialite db?
- 5Why does a layer imported from GPS have lat/lng rather than project coordinates?
- View more network posts →